Friday, September 9, 2011

Negative spaces

"I've got this friend", she said at last. "He's an artist. A sculptor. His name's Jason. Have you ever met him?"

"No, i don't think so"
...
"The last time I went there, he was working on this new idea. Hew was filling empty packaging with plaster, using the bubble packs that used to have toys in them, you know, and the foam boxes you get packed around a new T.V.set. He calls them negative spaces. He uses them like a mould, and he makes a sculpture out of them. He had a hundred things there - shapes made out of egg cartons and the blister-pack that a new toothbrush came in, and the empty package that had a set of headphones in it"

I turned to look at her. The sky in her eyes held tiny storms. Her lips, embossed with secret thoughts, were swollen to the truth she was trying to tell me.

"I walked around there, in his studio, you know, looking at all these white sculptures, and I thought, that's what I am. That's what I've always been. all my life. negative space. Always waiting for someone, or something, or some kind of real feeling to fill me up and give me a reason..."


Gregory David Roberts,
"Shantaram"

No comments: